So you’ve chosen braces for your smile transformation. While they are the oldest form of teeth-straightening appliances, this doesn’t mean they’re outdated. In fact, GO Orthodontics offers a variety of modern and comfortable braces options, from metal to clear and even white-gold!
No matter the smile style you’ve chosen, our team is ready to help you GO for your dream smile. If you’re a new braces wearer or looking to get the most out of your treatment, we’ve got 5 top tips for braces first day and beyond.
1. Become a master of your oral health
The most important and easiest way to achieve the best possible smile results is by taking care of your teeth! Healthy teeth move faster and combined with your braces (and orthodontist’s) efforts give you the bright, beautiful smile you’ve been waiting for. Be sure to follow these braces tips and tricks to take care of your budding smile:
• Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste after every meal and snack
• Floss daily
• Finish up your daily routine with a fluoride, antibacterial mouthwash up to twice a day
2. Follow the braces do’s and don’ts
If you want to get to your dream smile, you not only have to take care of your teeth but your braces as well! Here’s a few of our braces dos and don’ts for you braces-champs out there:
• Do: practice a strong oral hygiene routine daily
• Do: wear your rubber bands as prescribed
• Do: avoid sticky, gooey, or hard foods that can damage your braces (and teeth)
• Do: regularly check your braces for any broken bands, poking wires, or loose brackets.
• Do: keep your regular check-in appointments with your orthodontist
• Don’t: use whitening products such as toothpaste with your braces (including charcoal toothpaste!)
• Don’t: chew ice, your nails, or pencils
3. Keep your treatment on track with braces compliance
This one bears repeating! If you want to know how to get faster results with braces, the answer is very simple…comply with your treatment plan. Every appliance and instruction your orthodontist uses in your treatment planning and care is to get you to your dream smile in a healthy and efficient manner. Attend your adjustment appointments on time or give us a call ASAP if you’re sick or need to reschedule. If your orthodontist prescribes you rubber bands, wear and change them out as instructed. Consistency is key to compliance and the key to getting the smile results you and your orthodontist planned for.
4. Keep your bi-annual dental check-up appointments
Your dentist is part of your smile journey too. While our team will be on the lookout for any cavities during your braces adjustments, your dentist performs a comprehensive oral exam every 6 months (which may include an x-ray) to help your teeth stay healthy for tooth movement. You’ll also receive a professional teeth cleaning at these appointments, helping remove stains, plaque buildup, and tartar. Attending these checkups are critical to your oral health and getting the best results from your braces treatment.
5. Communicate with your orthodontist
Keeping your orthodontist apprised of any orthodontic emergencies or conflicts with upcoming appointments will keep your treatment on track and allow us to accommodate you to the best of our ability. If you have any of the following situations happen or become aware of, please call our offices ASAP so we can assist or reschedule:
• You have a cold or fever within 72 hours of your scheduled appointment
• You’re experiencing a braces emergency
• Your upcoming travel or vacation plans fall during your next adjustment appointment
• You’re out of or running out of braces rubber bands
Looking for more tips for new braces wearers?
Think of your smile journey as a mountain hike. Your orthodontist is your expert guide, the terrain is your smile, their map is your braces, and at the top of the mountain (aka the end of your braces treatment), you’ll enjoy the most fantastic view…your beautiful, healthy smile!
If you’re looking for a top orthodontist in Lee County, MS or Tennessee, request a complimentary exam for you or your child with us today!